The information in this activity offers a brief review of basic concepts. As a result of this activity, you should feel confident that you can:
1. Recall the mitochondrial structure:
Inner Mitochondrial Membrane
Outer Mitochondrial Membrane
2. Describe the kind of energy mitochondria use and what kind of energy they produce.
4. Define oxidative phosphorylation.
5. Explain pH gradient, including how it forms and how it generates energy.
Where else does this information fit in?
The information in this review activity is helpful for understanding these topics:
- The specific structures and functions of the complexes in the electron transport pathway.
- Functions of nutrients in the electron transport pathway.
- The energetics of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism.
- Maintenance of body temperature.
- Mitochondrial poisons such as cyanide and rotenone.
- The role of oxygen toxicity in diseases such as cancer.